Sunday, October 28, 2012

Tech Nerd In Da House!!!

Okay so this is going to be short and sweet tonight because for some crazy reason the hubs thinks that I am on my "techy" stuff way too much, which I  AM NOT  by they way!!! Just because I like to browse pinterest and chat with my friends on my new iPhone (that hubs got for my birthday so he is obviously enabling my tech habit) while reality TV junky watches Jersey Shore and some other shows on MTV. I'm sorry but I feel dumber after sitting through 10 minutes and would much rather be productive pinning things to my boards, most of which I will probably never ever make :)

Okay on with the point. For some reason I agreed to go 5 weeks straight, gluten free and sugar free without cheats at all (Ragnar Las Vegas being the exception if needed)...call me crazy but I think it's going to be awesome. I'm coming to the conclusion that wheat is the devil and causes all sorts of issues with the body. I don't usually eat it anyway but this 5 weeks I'm going to be super strict. If you would like to join in on the fun let me know!!! I'm sure you're all just dying to be as awesome as I am!
 I'm 5 days into it and needed a little sweetness tonight (get your minds outta the gutter people) so I made a gluten free, sugar free apple crisp with all the apples Brooke the green thumb gave me. I tried a recipe from Caveman Strong, another great blog with really helpful recipes to get you eating paleo.
I think that next time I would rather have less almond flour and more crunch, maybe some sliced almonds, walnuts and flax seed in the crumble topping...don't get me wrong this recipe was GREAT!!!
And without further rambling here you go....

CAVEMAN STRONG APPLE CRISP
Ingredients
2 cups blanched almond flour

1 ½ teaspoon cinnamon
½ cup coconut oil or butter
¼ cup honey
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
5 medium apples, peeled, sliced, then chopped in half width-wise
Instructions:
In a large bowl, combine almond flour, salt, cinnamon.  In a smaller bowl, combine oil, honey and vanilla.  Stir wet ingredients into dry.  Place apples in a 8×8 pyrexbaking dish. Crumble topping over the apples.  Cover and bake at 350° for 50 minutes on low rack.  When apples are soft and their juices bubble, remove cover and bake 10 more minutes to brown crispy.  Serve warm

*NOTE* I added about 1 tbsp cinnamon and 1/4 cup maple syrup to the apples and I miss read the whole recipe and added 1/2 cup instead of 1/4 of honey...whoopsy! I also think that you could go 1/4 cup coconut oil instead of the 1/2 cup.

ENJOY!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment