Friday, August 24, 2012

St. George Trip and A Kick A$$ Recipe!

I went to St. George a couple weekends ago with my twin sister for a MUCH needed girls weekend with the moms (okay that made it sound like I have lesbian moms, not the case, I just like to call my mom "moms").
Some mommies may hate to be away from their little ones and you would have to pry them away crying to get them to go away for a couple days...not me I skipped, hopped and did a happy dance all the way to St. George. I'm not too proud to admit I need a break every once in a while. Lets face it, we've all heard about Jett, if I didn't have these little get aways I would probably be locked in a white room with padded walls and a little window in the door so they could observe my behavior.
Girls weekend was a huge success, we had tons of fun hiking, shopping and golfing and absolutely no running what so ever...I was to a point in my training where I felt the need to vomit if I even though about going on a run.
My mom took us on the most amazing hike ever, I know I've been before in college but I had forgotten all about it, and lets be honest I was in college...we had a fun time, had some paleo treats and I about gave Brooke and mom a heart attack, see attached picture....

It wasn't even that far down..come on!
The Spartan WOD of the day was to stop and plank where ever you were, so plank we did :)....
and some more planking with some sort of orangutang pose, look at those buff twin sisters!
And here are the triplets all together...such a fun relaxing day! Sorry we made you sore mom (hehehe)!

What would girls weekend be without a little golf at Sand Hollow Resort and a overly priced $15 bunless burger (complete with no sides) from a little place called Baristas in Hurricane? Not complete, that's for sure! 
My twin and I got pair with Lyman and Phil (short for Phillis we assume) the ever so happy couple from here and there. They were quite the entertainment, full of dry humor and uncomfortable spats for all 18 holes, we were pretty sure they couldn't hear a word we said...We hope anyway.
Lyman took this wonderful photo of the twins..isn't it a beautiful course? Even though Brooke was having gas issues we had a lot of fun. We only wish our wonderful sister and sister-in-law could have been there with us...of course I would have put them down wind of Brooke just for fun :D
I'm not even going to tell you about our lunch, let me just say we had plenty of time to sit and chat with the moms while our lunch was being prepared....here is a link to my review on Urban Spoon...I felt the need to let everyone know how horrible this place was!  

Okay moving on....I dropped by my Aunt LaVerne's house the other night to say hi and visit and left with tons of food from their garden...LOVE IT! So as I was making dinner last night I used every little bit of what they gave me, this is what paleo cooking is all about!

Blackberry Glazed Chicken Legs: (You really gotta try this one!)

For the sauce:
2 TBSP coconut oil
1 medium size yellow onion diced
2-3 cloves garlic diced
1/2-1 TBSP red pepper flakes
2-3 cups fresh blackberries
1 can organic tomato sauce
1/4-1/2 cup raw honey (just depending on how sweet you want it, taste as you go)
2 TBSP GF soy sauce
1 TBSP Chili powder
2 TBSP apple cider vinegar

1. Heat oil in a med sauce pan and add onion, garlic and red pepper flakes. Cook for 5 minutes
2. Add fresh blackberries and cook down for about 8 minutes
3. Add in tomato sauce, honey, soy sauce and chili powder...bring to a boil turn heat down to low and let it cook away for about 20-30 minutes until it thickens up.
4. Once it's nice and thick add the vinegar and remove from the heat
5. Once it's cooled place in a blender and blend away until its nice and smooth

While your saucey stuff is simmering away place your chicken legs on a baking sheet and pre-heat your oven to 375.

Sprinkle over the legs:
Chili powder
garlic powder
smoked paprika
and salt
Turn the legs and sprinkle on the other side too, and then run some olive oil over the top and rub those legs up real nice.

Place them in the oven (I'm really not sure how long I cooked them) After about 15 minutes I turned the legs over and let them cook another 5-10. Then I started glazing them with the BBQ sauce. Every 5 minutes rotate and brush them with the sauce until they are cooked through....and obviously let them cool before you enjoy!

And that will be all for today folks, Jett has fallen down the stairs and I still haven't showered even though I returned for the gym about 2.5 hours ago...time for me to peace out fools!

3 comments:

  1. You always make me laugh Stacy! Thanks for letting EVERYONE know about the gas issue, but then maybe they already knew :) Love you bunches!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm pretty sure they already knew :) love you too twin sis!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm pretty sure they already knew :) love you too twin sis!

    ReplyDelete